IIJA Student Registrations have been transferred to the International School of Gemology
Effective today December 23, we have formally withdrawn from our status as a 501(c)3 Non-Profit, and returned to our original structure and location at the International School of Gemology. All courses on this IIJA website are now closed, and all student registrations and files have been transferred to the ISG location. Your Username and Password should be active and waiting for you. Student registrations, course history, and student files have been migrated. Please contact us for any questions or if we can help with any issues.
Robert James FGA, GG
President, International School of Gemology
IIJA Introduction to Gemology Course
The IIJA Introduction to Gemology course has been specifically designed as a foundation study of gemology for those just starting their career in gemstones. This entry-level course includes information that is taken directly from the IIJA Registered Gemologist Appraiser program and more. It is designed for those without gemology experience to get a foundation knowledge in gemology to serve their future learning needs.
This program consists of a 9 lesson course in gem and mineral formation, how gemstones are mined, how gemstone crystals grow, basics of gem identification, a review of over 67 of the most often seen gemstones and a full section on Careers in Gemology. It is complete with many videos, slide presentations and explanations to help you better understand the study of gemology. Short exams are taken after the various lessons.
Here is an overview of the course program:
- Lesson One: How Gemstones Form
- Lesson Two: Gems from Igneous Rocks
- Lesson Three: Gems from Metamorphic Rocks
- Lesson Four: Gems from Sedimentary Rocks
- Lesson Five: The 7 Crystal Systems
- Lesson Six: Review of Gemstones A – L:
- Lesson Seven: Review of Gemstones M – Z
- Lesson Eight: Gem Identification including videos demonstrating optical properties, how to use the gem equipment and gemstone phenomena.
- Lesson Nine: Careers in Gemology
This course includes over 200 photographs, 10 videos and a variety of slide presentations to help you begin your study of gemology. Great for anyone interested in gems and minerals and the study of gemology but not yet ready to take a full program study in gemology.
Certificate of Completion: You will print your own certificate upon completion of this course..
How to Begin:
- When you pay for this course using any credit card or your account on PayPal you will be able to start immediately.
- SSL Secure Payments can be made either through Stripe Payments for credit cards, or PayPal using any credit card or PayPal card using the PayPal payment system. You do not need to have a PayPal Account to use your credit card through PayPal. The Stripe Payment system is for general credit card use. Please follow these steps carefully.:
- Click on the BUY NOW button on the upper right side of this page.
- The payment gateway will take you through the PayPal or the Stripe payment systems. Both are SSL Secure payment systems. PayPal uses either a PayPal account or you can use other credit cards with PayPal without having a PayPal Account. Stripe is used for Mastercard and Visa and other cards also.
- Once you receive payment confirmation you will be brought back to your course to begin or to the SchoolofGemology.com website. Either way, go to the course home page to begin. You can also access the course page through your Profile Page.
- Once you have returned to the course home page click the Start the Course button to begin.
- Once complete you can print your temporary certificate of completion. Your ISG Certificate of Completion will be sent from the ISG office. Please allow up to 4 weeks to receive your certificate if you are outside the United States.